Cary M. Maguire Center Internships
Stipend: $2400 graduate students; $2000 undergraduate students
Hours: approximately 200
Applications Due: Monday, January 23, 2012, at 4:30 p.m.
Selections will be made by Friday, February 17, 2012
The Cary M. Maguire Center for Ethics and Public Responsibility will award several stipends to SMU students--graduate and undergraduate--who wish to spend a substantial portion of the summer of 2012 in a summer service project. This internship provides students with the support to develop and implement a community service project that addresses a significant need at the local, state, national, or international level. The work must take place in a non-profit agency, such as a social agency, a religious congregation, an educational or health care organization, or some other institution that offers a public service. You are responsible for locating a qualified placement site and securing an agency's agreement to participate. A helpful way to begin thinking about your internship is to consider a volunteer project that interests you. For those chosen as interns, the salary is $10.00 an hour for undergraduate students and $12.00 an hour for graduate students, for not more than 200 hours for the entire summer. For detailed information and an application go to http://www.smu.edu/Provost/Ethics/Students/Internship
How to Apply
The application due date for Summer 2012 is Monday January 23. Information about what needs to be submitted as your application can be found below. The application materials MUST be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Furthermore, please create one document containing your application form followed by your biographical sheet(s) and be sure to put your name on every page. If you do not receive an acknowledgement within 3 business days after the deadline, please contact us at 214-768-4255. Selections will be made by Friday, February 17, 2012, and all applicants will be promptly notified.
Further questions should be directed to Candy Crespo, 214-768-3436. Please carefully read all the way through this application and read http://www.smu.edu/Provost/Ethics/Students/Internship before calling with your question.
The application consists of four parts:
- The application form (HTML )
- A brief biographical sheet (not more than two pages; e-mail to email@example.com or mail to Maguire Center for Ethics, P.O. Box 750316, Dallas, TX 75275-0316)
On this sheet, you should provide relevant personal, academic, and work background on yourself. Provide as much detail as possible on the work for which you would like to be sponsored this summer. It should include:
- WHERE you want to work (name and location of agency)
- WHAT you would be doing/what is the need to be addressed
- WHY you are seeking this stipend
- HOW your work is related to ethics or what ethical issues you'll be dealing with
- Click for samples
- A letter from your sponsoring agency (just one page)
- This letter should be sent directly to the Maguire Center, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter should be from the person who would be your supervisor for the summer project. It should state that the supervisor has spoken to you about the project, explained what you'll be doing there, and confirmed that you will be working 200 hours over the summer under his/her supervision. It should also provide his/her name, address and telephone number.
- Click for sample
- A letter from a faculty reference (just one page)
- This letter should be sent directly to the Maguire Center, emailed to email@example.com. The letter should be from the faculty reference whose name you listed on the application form.
ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS ARE DUE IN OUR OFFICE
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A STIPEND.